Tuesday, March 2, 2010

The day I “fell” for Genesis Burson-Marsteller!

The Xavier Institute of Communications was busy with its everyday activities as usual; classes, assignments, tests, a packed timetable and the usual peripheral activities. We were all lost in our own respective little worlds when reality dawned upon us- The Public Relations & Corporate Communication batch placement phase was soon to start.

The course coordinator was at his diplomatic best trying to rope in the top PR agencies to recruit and take in all 53 of his ‘lovely and bright’ students- they were, after all, “the future of the PR industry”. Administration and staff was at its peak of efficiency; all e-mails on time, no phone calls missed and timely company allotments. Faculty members were trying to be as supportive as they could, guiding and advising. The campus suddenly went abuzz like never before with contemplation, speculation, apprehension. Everyone had just one thing on their minds- I need to get that job!!!

As each one of us tried deciding on what we want to do, which company we would like to join, which domains we wished to work in, which clients excited us, almost to the extent of mapping our entire careers as though all the agencies had a red carpet rolled out for us! Our class being our class, me included, had a zillion questions doing cart wheels in the brain. They fluttered over our heads like mosquitoes do in the dark, round and round in circles, with no purpose whatsoever! We had a few classics as well... “Oh God, what do I do, I just can’t decide yaaaa... should I sit for Perfect or no? Are you sure Hanmer is coming only for internships, are they coming at all???” As one ended his/her dilemma about this near life and death situation, the other one started as if the sky was going to collapse any moment, “Listen... I heard CMCG wants only 3 people. It’s true or what, oh my God, how will I ever make it man??? ”, “No I don’t think I’m sitting for BL, it has only IT clients and apparently they’re not paying very well, you know!” blah blah blah...

The week finally arrived. Everyone’s hitherto neatly folded formals with the naphthalene balls were all out in full grandeur, or the newly bought clothes were in full display. A smile on the face, laden with a line of nervousness, yet laced with a streak of confidence, armed with files, folders, certificates and resumes, we were ready; ready to take the challenge, ready to overcome and ready to conquer.

My phone chain messages were on in full swing... “The ENTIRE class has to be there for the presentation tomorrow. Rajeev Sir’s strict orders. Attendance will be taken.” Websites were researched in the computer labs and discussions went on in the canteen over chai. People religiously asked me every day, “So, you’re sitting for any of the companies today?” And my answer would be the same throughout, “Errr... no.” I was elated as my friends and classmates got their jobs one by one. ‘All the best’ & ‘Congratulations’ were the favourites of the season. I was sooooooooo happy for everyone, and at the same time I was freaked out. As companies came and went, day in and day out, I waited, waited and then waited a little more. What was I doing, what was I thinking, I let go of 6 companies! Damn it, why did Genesis Burson-Marsteller have to come right towards the end?

But I managed to hang in there, show some courage and not have a nervous breakdown. D day was here. After my CR work that day, it finally struck me, “Ok, this is it!” We patiently sat through the presentation, we asked our questions and everything was done with. I realized I had to say something important to Rajeev Sir. I got up to do so and............................. flat! Before I knew it, I had blacked out and fallen. I could see stars, was too weak to get up on my own and my heels added to the drama. And then, I fell again, and again. After my entertaining act, people finally realized that they needed to attend to me! The rigmarole was driving me mad, not to add making me dizzier. Soon everyone crowded around me, helped me up on my feet, made me swallow chocolate and sour punk, stripped me off my jacket, massaged my back, and brushed my hair. And I thought to myself, wow, after waiting all this while, I make an utter fool of myself right in front of the people whose hands my career is in! However, I politely composed myself and with a subtle smile I said, “I’m perfectly fine ma’am. I shall see you in the interview room.” Tamasha khatam.

The rest of the evening was spent in mixed emotions-relief, happiness, anxiety and what not. Finally, the results were out, and I was in! What an adrenalin rush. All of a sudden, nothing else mattered. The wait, the fall, the tension-it all seemed so small and trivial. I had made it and I was ecstatic. Congratulatory hugs, calls and messages followed. I was happy, but what next? I didn’t want to go home at 6 in the evening, that too when I had just earned myself a career launching job.

I guess God had his own celebrations planned for me. I can almost envision the omnipresent up there in the heavens looking down at me with an evil grin and saying, “Who said the adventure was over darling, let the night unfold...”
So what happened? I got lost. Surprised? Don’t be.

TO BE CONTINUED...

2 comments:

ashwani said...

a wonderfully written piece. loved reading it.

Karishma Desai said...

:) Thank you.